Saturday, March 3, 2012

Last post on recovery

This will probably be my last post on the actual recovery of the surgery and stuff.  So if you happen to be following this blog, don't be surprised if there aren't any useful posts here on out.

My back feels very good.  I can do most anything.  I can roll into bed rotating around weird axes, I can squat and pick things up from the floor (I haven't dared to try straight-knee touching the floor yet), I danced with my wife, went to the store by myself to buy an accurate thermometer, I sat on the floor just to see if I could, and yesterday I worked a full 8 hour day.  Yes, it took until 11:45pm (I needed a two-hour nap to help settle my fever, and needed to spend a bit of time helping everybody else with theirs, and to beat a few levels on "Super Mario Galaxy"), but I did it.

So to be honest, for the recovery to be complete, there are only a few things left:

  1. for my quads to quit feeling like they're solid stone (which is as a result of laying in surgery).
  2. to heal enough to lift and do actual exercise.  I'm on a 1 month "don't lift or exercise no matter what" thing.
  3. to pee on my own.  I'm certainly not going to give you a day by day on this, but I will mention it once I can do it.
And maybe to finish recovering the flu, which is mostly managed.  So there's not much else to say for recovery. 

I do need to say though that I feel strongly that the Lord has helped us get through all of this.  There were moments that were close to being really bad, but we made it through, and it looks like everything's going to be just fine.

I should also take a moment to thank my doctor, too.  My urologist said the other day, "You know, lesser surgeons wouldn't have bothered to spend 9 hours in surgery trying to save all those nerve roots; they would have just chopped them off", which made me happy to have the doctor we have, and made me a little sad for the other ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment