Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Geohashing

So, a while ago, there arose a thing called geohashing.  Not sure if the XKCD guy came up with it or helped popularize it, but the idea is that you take the date, the Dow Jones opening number, and compute a longitude and latitude.  There's one for your local longitude/latitude (i.e., if you live at 104.12341234, 104.12341234, then you keep the 104 and replace the decimal portion with the computed value) and a global hash - exactly 1 per day.  I've been thinking about trying it.

See http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Main_Page
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geohash for more background.

Day 1 sample - local hash takes me to half way up uncharted paths in the mountains

Day 2 sample - local hash takes me to half way up uncharted paths in the mountains
Day 3 sample - local hash takes me to the middle of a military base.

A website I found computes the 9 local hashes around you, and it turns out I live within a mile or two of a longitude border.  Sometimes the coordinates to the next 'graticule' (the longitude/latitude box) over are more reasonable to find.


Major dis: I just found one from a few days ago in the middle of a parking lot about a mile from my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment