Wednesday, March 21, 2012

4 weeks out

Wow, it's been 4 weeks since the last surgery.  Seems like a day and an eternity at the same time.

Happy 4-week-anniversary-from-surgery to me....

Remembering coming home, barely being able to move, taking 2 minutes to get into a car, in massive pain walking around, etc.

Yesterday I sat in my office chair in my second favorite position: sideways with my legs over the armrest,  lightly "hopped" (sort of) down the stairs on my toes, rolled over 360 degrees, and kicked open a door (sorry work-people).  The leg pain seems to be a considerable less burden this week, so long as I don't go crazy.   But within my current constraints, I'm not allowed to go crazy.

Walking progress as follows:
earlier: .75 miles up to 3.3 mph, realized 3.3 pulled a little hard at the incision site, and backed off to 3
Monday: 1 mile in 22 minutes, ~2.7 mph
Tuesday: 1.25 miles in 27 minutes
Today: 1.75 miles in 32 minutes - ranging from 3.0mph 3.5mph

I am WAY out of 100%, though.  Driving, because of the pressure directly on the back, is very uncomfortable.  It's not the same as sitting in a normal chair.  My legs don't quite have the power to produce a jumping or running motion, and even if they did, walking in the mid-3's produces a strain on my back.  I can't lift heavy stuff, yet, though I have raised the small children from the ground to their feet, or arch my back, and I'm still afraid of getting my back wet, though I'm technically 'allowed' to.

So where will be be in 4 more weeks?  Don't know.  I might be running, but running might still be too much strain on my back.  Might be back in karate (I don't know why I haven't talked about that on this blog yet; just never felt like it during that part of the week, I guess).  Might be changing diapers again.  Won't my wife be happy?

And the ultimate test: going on a scout camp.  Somehow, I think sleeping on the hard ground is going to be quite the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment