Monday, February 20, 2012

Down and back up

This morning we get up and I was pleased with everything.

Then we went for therapy, we walked two laps, and I wanted to push it a little it so I stayed sitting on the edge of my bed for about 5 minutes, but I get really really dizzy and lay back down again.  Then the doctor comes and in and is like "Okay, let's watch you today, but you should be good to go tomorrow", and he congratulated us on not having any emergencies in the middle of the night, no leakages, no anything, gave us a goal to get up walking 5 times today and leaves.

However, I was floored for the longest time after that walk this morning.  BTW - the walks are so much harder now than they were last week, with the extra time out.  My legs are really stiff and I am only doing about 0.3 mph (guessing).  So, I lay down for a nap for a bit with the intent of getting up in about two hours, but I was just so tired.

So, after about 4-5 hours, my nurse and I talk about it, and she convinces me that get out and go again, even though I don't feel entirely ready.  I think the problem was that I was experiencing a huuuuuge amount of vertigo, which is somewhat normal for people with spinal fluid problems, AND it's my body slowly waking up the anesthesia.

So we go for a walk again, and it's great.  And we've been on two more since then, and they've been great.

And I killed a horsefly with my fingers and it was great.

However, I will propose a definition for you:
Exercise is effort spent your energy pool trying to gain/maintain a skill.
Therapy or Rehab is spending effort that you don't have trying to gain/maintain a skill you used to have.

And the world is good for this moment, and for that I will say simply for this moment, "I thank God for the peaceful moments".

No comments:

Post a Comment