Friday, February 3, 2012

Anxiety

So, while I was feeling ecstatic and exuberant the other night, facing the prospect of surgery, the last few days I've felt a load of anxiety.  While I don't particularly like drawing attention to myself, I find that talking about it (particularly if I can joke about it), and particularly with those who have been there in one form or another, helps a lot.

Today I made a reference like this to my direct supervisor:
"I plan to ... unless I'm dead", but I meant 'dead' figuratively as in no energy/unable to concentrate, as opposed to actually dead.

Anyway, to combat the pre-surgery blues, I have made the following conservative and entirely completable (apparently not a word) pre-surgery goals.

Run 30 miles  (I've made it about 15 miles a week when I've made it a priority)
Two of those runs will be a 5K under 24 minutes (This might enable me to beat a coworker at our Spring 5K, if I'm recovered by then)
Work a little extra to help compensate for my lack of time off, maybe 15 hours.  Particularly the Saturday before surgery, as it counts as the same work week as the surgery.
Code the coding I've done in my head in the game I'm making, and a little work on my other projects.
Maybe work a little on a trumpet or piano song.
Publish another monkey at work.  Maybe retire one of the existing ones so they don't start pairing off.
And let's not forget 2 dates with my beautiful wife.

So... naturally... I spent all evening watching television.

No comments:

Post a Comment