Sunday, December 4, 2011

Trumpet Intro

So, I played the trumpet growing up.  I was probably best in the 9th grade, because for some reason I didn't practice often in High School.  I could play all right in HS, but I could never sustain notes above an F after having practiced for more than about 20 minutes (like I could in 9th grade).  However, I had a nice tone, articulation, and other stuff.

Anyway, my wife played the clarinet, and oboe, and all of the saxes, and for some reason, she didn't lose her musicianship after we got married.  I picked up my trumpet for the first time in about 5 years, and I could only play a few notes.  Well, I can play about to the level I could in HS again now, because I occasionally am called upon to play - I've had 2 occasions in the last few years where I played Tijuana Brass numbers for a church party (I did these all right, because I practiced every day for about a month and was able to play most of the high notes), and 2 occasions where I've had to play "Taps" for grandfathers' funerals.  So I play about once a month just so I can maintain such that if the need arises, I can practice for a month and get what I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment