Saturday, December 3, 2011

Running intro

I like to run. Why? I'm not exactly sure. Maybe it's the feeling after finishing, or the mental battle required to finish the run, or maybe just a sense of masochism. Who knows.

I ran in High School, and I sucked then (I PR'd a 5K at 20:30 at low altitude), and I suck now. I have been treadmill running for about 7 years now (I had about 5 years off after HS). I plateaued around 30:00 for a year, and then all of a sudden I was able to hit 27:30 for a few years, and then all of a sudden I was able to do 24:30 for a few years. That's where I am now, and I can't seem to get past it.

I sponsor a 5K race at work twice a year. There's one particular guy who was 2 minutes slower than me on the first one, and then a little faster than me every run after that. I'm trying to beat him in the Spring. He did have foot surgery a few weeks ago, and he instructed me to use that to my advantage.

Anyway, today I ran 7 miles in 70 minutes (6mph) - pretty easy. I figured it was an okay run after not having run in a week and a half (I had some health issues which I'm too embarrassed to discuss in a public forum). Next week I'll try to do some intervals, a medium run, and then as much as possible at 8mph - my next target speed, which would be a 23:15 5K. My current best is 10 minutes, 8 minutes, 5 minutes, and 4 minutes at 8mph with a 3 min walk between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment