Sunday, January 1, 2012

Game #3

I also write video games in my spare time.  I haven't written about it yet because much of the time lately has been spent thinking of how to proceed with a feature.

I've been working on 3 games over the last year:
A simple arcade game with a few levels (no story, no upgrades) - this was meant to have been done in a single day, but it took a team of 10 or so a year in (VERY) part time to end up where it ended up, and it made $300 on XBox indie site (whatever it's called).

Our team has been working on 3 games since then, I worked on one, but everybody switched to two others to compete in Dream-Build-Play.  We tried to rush it, but didn't finish in time.  I decided to go back to the original game, and the rest of the team seems to have lost interest in that game.

I've also worked on a chess game that I've been dabbling with for years.  I ported it to the Unity engine a few weeks ago, and hopefully soon I can get it onto the iPhone/iPad or something similar.  I know what you're thinking - "another chess game!" - but a) I want to finish something I started myself, and b) I have a potentially interesting twist on it.  But the reviewers will decide, I'm sure.

So I spend my "free" time (that is, when I'm not with my family or doing something else) I spend coding time between these two games, and doing consulting work for my former company (at a rate of not many hours, but that rate comes close to the rate spent on the games).

No comments:

Post a Comment