Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Adventures in medicine Part 0, 1, 2, 3

So, a while ago, I mentioned something that I was too embarrassed to talk about.  Most of it is very TMI.  So if you're queasy, better to just skip over it.  Well here it is:

Background (Part 0)
So, at my physical about 3 years ago, my doctor asked me how my urination is.  Well, it's better than him asking when the date of my last period was.  I mentioned that sometimes in the morning, it just didn't come, until about 1-2 hours later.  He said if it gets worse, we can try to do something about it.

Part 1
On the last Saturday of November, it wouldn't come at all.  Mind you the night before I was at a LAN party until 3am and had chugged a 32oz bottle of Gatorade at around 2am, but that's beside the point, right?

Anyway, around 8:30-9, I go to the local health clinic, and they popped in a Foley catheter.  Bet you're all wanting to try one.  They drained 1.6L.  They left in the catheter just in case I couldn't for later, and we made an appointment for my PCP.

Part 2
2 days later, we visit the PCP.  Wasn't very useful, except that he referred me to a Urologist.  He didn't even take out the catheter.  However, they did tell me how to take it out myself so that I could remove it the day I saw the Urologist (Wednesday) to see if I could go on my own during the day before the appointment.

Part 3
On Wednesday, I was singing an old Cub Scout song - "The Little Skunk's Hole".  Google it.  Note the chorus: "Take it out, take it out, take it out, take it out, remooooooooooooove it".

I took out the catheter, and drunk lots of water, and by the time of my appointment I had peed according to the following schedule:
10am
2pm
2:30pm
3pm
3:15pm

Even after going, the little teeny ultrasound machine still said I had 500ml left inside.  The urologist did a quick prostate check, and ordered a lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment