Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Adventures in Medicine, Part 7 - the CMG

The CMG Duhn duhn duhn

Most interesting visit so far.  I show up well hydrated, and show up not having had my flow-max for 3 days, and I'm instructed to pee in a cup with a little spinning nozzle that measured the urine flow. (The lady left the room for this.)  Guess what happened?  I couldn't go.  Not at all.  So she put in a catheter to drain the 700ml that my body wanted to hold on to, and then hooked 2 sensors inside, one up the front, and the other up the back, to measure pressure, and then attached an iv-like thing (I guess you could call it an ip, because it's not going inside a vein), and proceeded to fill the bladder about 1ml per second.

I was instructed to tell her when these 4 cases happened:
1) It felt like, if I were on a road trip, I would have to start looking for a gas station
2) It felt like we would have to pull over pretty quickly to a gas station.
3) It felt like we would have to pull over and use a bush.
4) It felt like I would absolutely explode.

It took about 400ml or so to reach #3.  After that, bladder muscles contracted and such, and I held it in, but I never managed to reach #4 even after 900ml (Yes, in medicine, they use cc instead of ml, but they're the same thing).  She wanted me to try the pee-in-the-spinning-cup thing again, and again, I couldn't go.

The follow-up the next day
Dr. says that given that I couldn't pee at all when I'm that full is most likely a neurological problem.  Even with a large/tight prostate, the contracting bladder should be able to produce some flow.

We schedule a trip to the neurologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment