Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Adventures in medicine, Part 4, 5, 6

So, it's a little fuzzy in this period, as in whether/how many follow-up talking-only appointments there were.

Part 4
The ultrasound

This part was actually interesting.  I was to be there well hydrated, and I was, and they watched things, checked for flow from the kidneys to the bladder, etc.  Then they had me empty myself.  According to her measurements, I had 450ml before that, and 300ml after.  So it clearly didn't empty.  She also showed me all of my other internal organs in that area, and it was fascinating to see them in my own body for once.

Part 5
The follow-up and the scope

So, Dr. was happy that there weren't any kidney infections, what with all the latent urine sitting around perpetually.  We scheduled a scope for the next week, now around the 5th of December.  We do a scope, where he takes a little camera thingy on the tip of a long tube, and shoves it up my ***** and looks around.  He doesn't find anything.  At this point, he says that it's one of the following:

1) A blockage between the bladder and the ***** (maybe some time, I'll be comfortable saying that word online).
2) A neurological problem.

He prescribes a drug called Flowmax (sp?).  The generic is called Tamsulosin.  It's supposed to treat #1, particularly in the case of an enlarged prostate.

Part 6
The next follow-up

4 weeks later-ish, now at the end of December, we have the next follow-up.  At this point, my wife starts coming.  I was telling her that I was okay going by myself, but she was dissatisfied with my ability to answer her questions :)   At this point, I tell him that I've been all right, but with the Tamsulosin having run out a few days before, and me wanting to wait for this appointment to see what happened while I was off it for a few days, I mention it's been harder to pee without it. 

He wants to schedule a Cystometrogram (CMG) for a few weeks later, because they do them on Mondays and the next Monday was New Year's when they were closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment