Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Adventures in Medicine part 10 - the phone call

That catches us up to today.

I get a phone call at work.  I'm at a special place inside of work where we can't get phone calls.  So I get the message that the neurologist needs to talk with me.  So I call him back, wait on hold for a few minutes, mildly freaking out.  He answers the phone and reveals to me that I have a growth in the lumbar region, called <something>-moma.

I call my wife, and she bums out.  (She called her family and my family and they freak out.)  She asks more questions that I didn't recall the answer to, so I call the doctor back, and they tell me further that they would schedule a neurosurgeon visit.

My wife brought me lunch while I was bummed.

I get a call back that says it's called ependymoma, and that she'd fax us (at work) further information, and that she scheduled the neurosurgeon appt. for Friday and another MRI for tomorrow, for C-spine and T-spine.

My wife gets a call from the neurosurgeon saying that he wanted to move his appointment to tomorrow because he was in surgery on Friday and wanted to get me in this week.

I tell various people at work that the next few weeks could be tenuous as we figure this out.  My boss asks how I am, and I tell him I'm depressed, and he mentions that I didn't look depressed.  I guess that's good.

I re-quiz an employee of mine that went through cancer last year on various experiences.  It's nice to be able to talk to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment