Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ode to the door-to-door salesman

Do door-to-door salesmen drive you nuts?  Grrr.  (Sorry if you happen to be one - hopefully you've learned how to not be annoying.)

Last one we had was a guy who wanted to offer us free attic insulation.  "We just need to come in and take a look, and the power company will rebate blah blah blah."

Good offer?  Maybe.  But I say no.  Why did I say no?  Well, at the time, I had 3 children inside being ultra noisy and I just wanted him to leave me alone.  I didn't want him to take a look, and I just wanted him to go away.  (Why did I answer the door then?  Who knows.  But we were all in the front room so I knew he saw me).

But it took 3 "Not interested" and "Not right now"s to get him to go away.  But here's the clincher.  As he walks away, he says "Okay, I'm not going to waste my time".

It always seems that the ones offering free stuff are the most rude.  Last time it happened it was the "we'll clean 3 rooms of carpet for "free"" and he walked away insulting my intelligence.

So, after the fact, I thought:
a) I don't want you in my house
b) I don't want 2 feet of insulation in my attic.  I have to go up there and do electrical junk from time to time, and it's hard enough to find anything and to breathe with the 8 inches I have.

(And let's not forget that I probably wouldn't see the joists, and I don't need to fall through the attic again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment